Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Graphic Floral Dress








Picking up cats in heels is hard ok. 









Shop the Look 



Dress: Alexis's Shop Stevie Shop (get it here, also love this and this) // Necklace: J. Crew Factory (get it here) // Purse: Tory Burch (similar here) // Heels: Saks off 5th (similar here) // Denim Trench: Who What Wear x Target (similar here

You guys know I love a good floral print (I would be embarrassed to tell you how many floral print dresses I have in my closet). So I simply couldn't resist this graphic floral print dress when I saw it! I mean it's just too gorgeous. AND STRETCHY. Double win.

I was planning on wearing it to church a few weeks ago just on its own but realized as I was looking at my jackets in my closet that this denim trench paired perfectly with it! I often forget to look at my jackets when putting together an outfit so I was really glad I spotted it before I left! Of course, the dress looks pretty fabulous just on its own but I think the jacket really helps pull the whole look together. Plus our church building can get kind of cold so the jacket helped in that department as well. 

One of the hardest adjustments to motherhood has definitely been the clothes I wear. I know I know it sounds dumb but hear me out. Prior to becoming a mom, I worked in two different offices so I always enjoyed putting together nice, professional-looking outfits for work and more casual outfits for going out. I felt like I had plenty of opportunities to wear cute outfits and that made me happy. When I'd get home from work, I'd change into my more comfy clothes while making dinner and doing stuff around the house. But now, my life is MUCH different so my wardrobe needs are much different. 

Henrik likes to stay up late and wake up late so I consequently also wake up later in the morning. I generally change from my pajamas straight into my gym clothes for my workouts. Once I'm home, sometimes it's hours before I get in and out of the shower, cleaned up, and ready for real clothes (babies like to distract you from doing these things). But by then, it's sometimes 4 pm and I have no plans to leave the house for the rest of the day so it feels pointless to change into a real outfit. More often than not, I end up in a robe (current status), a lounge dress, sweatpants, etc. Plus when I'm home and Henrik gets hungry, I like to be able to just take off whatever I'm wearing and nurse him and be comfortable. Changing in and out of pants/nice tops just isn't very practical for that. 

This means that on days when I have errands to run (grocery store, bank, Farmer's Market, etc.), I get REALLY excited to put together an actual outfit and wear it! Even if it's just for a few hours. But of course, this only happens a few times a week and I'm never in those clothes for very long. It's definitely kind of depressing to me. I look in my closet at all these great clothes and it actually makes me super sad that I don't get the opportunity to wear them as much as I'd like. 

I'm really hoping this is just a phase and that once Henrik is a little older and not eating/needing a nap every two hours during the day that we'll be able to get out more and do things together (thus necessitating real outfits for me). But even then, my wardrobe needs will be quite different from life pre-baby. I've been buying pieces that are comfy, easy to get on and off, no-fuss/low maintenance, and visually interesting enough that they don't need a ton of accessories. Of course, washable and flexible are important too since I'm always on the floor playing with Henrik. 

It's a process, but I'm figuring it out and trying to just accept and be happy with my life right now. I know this young baby phase is fleeting and will be gone before I'm ready so I'm trying my best to soak it up and enjoy it! Even if it means I don't put on real clothes all day ;) He's the best and I wouldn't change things with him for the world. 

As always, thank you for stopping by!!

About: To start making dinner! Trying out this recipe. Super simple dinners have been our jam lately. 
Confused: As to why Henrik has been napping like all afternoon?? Highly unusual but I'll take it. 
Loving: This beautiful weather we've been having! 70 degrees and sunny is the best, in my opinion. 
Days Until Christmas: 202!

1 comment :

  1. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me.
    Cocktail Dresses

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...